Friday, July 25, 2008

MI Artist Uses Art to Rescue "At Risk" Youth



This documentary is great. Hector Perez has close ties to my family. Growing up in the Sunnyside neighborhood in Adrian, Hector was a young vato, or hoodlum, heading down a dangerous path and messing with herion. My father, Julio Perazza, was a counselor with the Upward Bound program at the time where he introduced Hector to the art of photography. Hector is now a very successful and inspirational artist and motivational figure in his own right, but he still remembers the difference the arts made to him during that pivotal time:

"... I was just dreaming about your father and the day I told him that I was messing with 'tecate' or Mexican heroin. He came down from Detroit to Adrian's Upward Bound. I grew up in Sunnyside ... Your father was a counselor. So he was the first person to show me his Pentax. He took the time to share his passion, so I felt special ... that moment of SLR instruction fed my curiosity about something positive rather than the tecate. Your father had a magnetic personality..."

I can't help but think that the hand my father reached out to Hector several decades ago, helped to inspire the amazing ways Hector is currently giving back to "at risk" youth :')

1 comments:

Neeta Delaney said...

Simon:

It's so important to get stories like this out there especially for those people who don't see how art impacts their daily lives. It's also wonderful to know about your personal connection to Hector through your father. When pressed to think about it, there are countless people who have personal connections to artists and the arts. We just need to shine a light on them.