Wednesday, May 7, 2008

TRAVEL: SW Detroit's COMPAS, Western HS

Friday April 25, 2008
I traveled to Western High School where video production students interviewed me and asked what it takes to be a successful artist. I emphasized the entrepreneurship side of being an artist and the fact that being an artist and a business owner are one in the same when you have to live off of revenue related to the art you produce.

I then met with Ismael Duran, the new Executive Director of COMPAS, the new performing arts center located in Southwest Detroit, who gave me a tour of the region as well as Mexicantown, letting me know about all the new development projects happening in the area on behalf of organizations such as Bagley Housing, SWSB, Skillman Foundation and Southwest Solutions.

The first thing Canadian tourists will see when coming over the Ambassador Bridge will be this slice of Southwest Detroit and the collective strategic efforts are coming together nicely to seize upon this opportnity in the near future, keep up the good work Southwest Detroit!

0 comments: