Wednesday, May 7, 2008

TRAVEL: SW Detroit Celebrating Trino the Poet

Thursday April 24, 2008
I have family ties to the community and because of this I knew poet Trinidad "Trino" Sanchez, Jr. very well and was saddened to hear of his passing last year. Matrix Theater company hosted an event which unfortunatley I did not make it to, but I met with local artists and residents at the after-event and was pleased to make new connections and re-connect with others I hadn't seen or talked to in several years.

I brought a video I shot of Trino reading his poetry at the Creole Gallery in Lansing. We watched the DVD at the after-event and all those who knew Trino were thrilled to see his face, humor and words come across in the video. I will be reproducing the DVD and sending complimentary copies to his wife (widow?) and Jose Cuello, Associate Professor of History at Wayne State who archives all things Latino arts.

A wonderful and emotional reconnection, that was long overdue for me.

0 comments: